Tuesday, June 05, 2007

What one gives

"You cannot understand such things right now, because you're young. But in good time you'll see that sometimes what matters isn't what one gives but what one gives up." -Fermín to Daniel

I read this last night in a book I am currently savoring called The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It is a long and rich novel, full of mystery, tenderness, intrigue, and betrayal.

Fermin is so right. I am sure as I look back on my life I will realize some of the most life changing moments will spring from the choice I made to give something up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gave up Desperate Housewives this year-yeah for me. :)

Don't you think when we decided to have children we made the choice to give up a lot? Of course we get a lot back-but still.

Unknown said...

Ohhh, I am going to let that quote stew for a good long time. Thank you.