It is the duty of every citizen according to his best capacities to give validity to his convictions in political affairs. - Albert Einstein
Today is Election Day. It seems to have been a long time coming. While I am happy it will be over, I am also a little sad.
This whole process has had me enthralled. I have read the Constitution more than a few times, studied supreme court rulings to better understand them, read the Republican and the Democrat platforms, searched voting records, watched every single debate and did fact checking the next day, read newspapers I don't normally, watched news stations instead of sitcoms, and stayed up very late talking politics with Bart.
I have to say this is the first time I have ever openly talked about who I was voting for. I normally don't discuss it because someone is going to give me a hard time no matter which way I go. In years past I haven't even shared my voting choice with my husband. This year I decided to openly discuss my views. I am not afraid to share them and can easily back my decision. I have avoided sharing my views in the past because, well check it out for yourself.....
People I haven't talked to in over 15 years have blasted me for voting for Obama, someone even asked me what my recently deceased father would think of me, I have received hateful emails, someone told me they were ashamed of me, people have told me I should repent, and I have had someone call me Satan (jokingly, of course, at least I hope).
All this because I have an opinion that differs from theirs. I am not posting this to ask for pity, because I don't need it. I truly am not upset by the things that have happened, nor would I change how I handled it all. I am a little amazed people care so much about how I vote. I am also surprised these individuals, most who are members of my Christian church are so quick to judge and be unkind.
The only reason I am telling you this is so maybe you will have a little more tolerance for those who think differently from you. Just because you believe one way doesn't make you right or the other person wrong. Try to have an open mind. I bet there are a lot of things we can learn from others if we are willing to listening and stop thinking so highly of ourselves.
I do want to say thank you to the people who have been kind and supportive of my decision even when they didn't agree with it. You know who you are. And to the other people, not so supportive, I promise I have no hard feelings.
Today is Election Day. It seems to have been a long time coming. While I am happy it will be over, I am also a little sad.
This whole process has had me enthralled. I have read the Constitution more than a few times, studied supreme court rulings to better understand them, read the Republican and the Democrat platforms, searched voting records, watched every single debate and did fact checking the next day, read newspapers I don't normally, watched news stations instead of sitcoms, and stayed up very late talking politics with Bart.
I have to say this is the first time I have ever openly talked about who I was voting for. I normally don't discuss it because someone is going to give me a hard time no matter which way I go. In years past I haven't even shared my voting choice with my husband. This year I decided to openly discuss my views. I am not afraid to share them and can easily back my decision. I have avoided sharing my views in the past because, well check it out for yourself.....
People I haven't talked to in over 15 years have blasted me for voting for Obama, someone even asked me what my recently deceased father would think of me, I have received hateful emails, someone told me they were ashamed of me, people have told me I should repent, and I have had someone call me Satan (jokingly, of course, at least I hope).
All this because I have an opinion that differs from theirs. I am not posting this to ask for pity, because I don't need it. I truly am not upset by the things that have happened, nor would I change how I handled it all. I am a little amazed people care so much about how I vote. I am also surprised these individuals, most who are members of my Christian church are so quick to judge and be unkind.
The only reason I am telling you this is so maybe you will have a little more tolerance for those who think differently from you. Just because you believe one way doesn't make you right or the other person wrong. Try to have an open mind. I bet there are a lot of things we can learn from others if we are willing to listening and stop thinking so highly of ourselves.
I do want to say thank you to the people who have been kind and supportive of my decision even when they didn't agree with it. You know who you are. And to the other people, not so supportive, I promise I have no hard feelings.
Now go out and vote. I don't care who you are voting for I just care that you vote!
10 comments:
been there and done that!
Farrah, your post makes me very, very sad. I am sorry. I had no idea. I really, really am sorry.
Nice blog, Farrah. I think it's great that you have spent so much time studying and researching. Whatever your beliefs, what I most object to is apathy. To me, that is one of the worst offenses. Care enough to participate in the free nation you have been blessed to live in. So, whatever the outcome, (you know the one I'm HOPING for) this election will shape future campaigns forever. A woman was a viable candidate for the nomination of a major party. Once again a woman is a VP candidate. A black man in the US won the nomination of a major party and has the advantage in a national election. Record registration, record participation, record online fund raising, a possible change to the electoral map, major seat changes in the house and senate and later possible Supreme Court justice changes. Today is an awesome day. I woke up and some of my first coherent thoughts in the shower were from Dr King's," I Have a Dream" speech, "judged not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character" (paraphased). We seem ready to even change the standard debate on race relations. I can't wait until tonight.
I know you said you don't need pity but I am sorry. If you lived where I live you would be with the majority-many of which are LDS.
Also, I don't think dad would be disapointed at all-he would be glad you researched it so well-he would give you a hard time though-jokingly of course.
And I, with all three of my kids did go vote. There is no school on voting day here.
And Tia voted at school-in her class Obama won 15 to 5.
I have voted and like you and many other researched and voted for who I think would best run the country. I am grateful for people that care enough to stand up for what they believe in. Love ya!
Farrah, I'm sorry people were so hateful to you...I could care less who you voted for! :)
I voted!!! Thank you for all your insights - all your comments have made me think. Sorry for your bad experience and I hope it doesn't make you not want to share in the future.
I don't know why people banter and make snotty comments. It kinda takes the fun out of it. I voted today. Next time I will vote early. An hour and half in line with a squirmy two year old did not make for a fun morning. I feel really good no matter the outcome. Tonight will be exciting!
I am excited for tonight, too! Funny that a lot of church members would give you such a terrible time when we are asked to research and think it out for ourselves and make a decision we think is best. You have clearly done that! I'm sorry to hear you have experienced all that. People are so dumb.
You go girl!!! I am so proud of you! You did your homework and voted with insight and intelligence. That is all that anyone should ask for. You did what many will not do, when you differ, you spoke your mind.
I am very blessed to know you!
Liz
Post a Comment