For weeks building up to my birthday Bart kept asking me what I wanted to do on that day. I wasn't sure until a few days before: I wanted us to go running together.
WHAT?! Of all the things I could choose from, this is really what I chose?
When I started my weight loss journey, Bart kept insisting that I would lose more weight if I would run. Run? Me run? I could lift weights, wear out the elliptical, do push ups, yoga, spin class, pilates, you name it. But run? No, never. Running, that was something I knew I couldn't do.
How did I know? Well, when I sprinted across the lawn to stop my two year old from going into the street, I was out of breath. Or if I ran down the stairs to get a piece of cake from the fridge my heart pounded out of my chest. Me a runner? That wasn't happening any time in this lifetime. I didn't WANT to run. Those people who run are crazy. Why would anyone WANT to do that.
One day, my sister in law told me she started running. I thought, "ARGH! I guess if she is doing it, I better give it a try." We were in a weight loss contest against each other and I wasn't going to let her beat me.
So one day, I got on the treadmill at the gym and started running. I think I ran for 1 minute the first time. It was VERY HARD and I am sure the people around me were wondering if the fat girl was going to pass out, but I didn't. And no, sir, my pants aren't full of jello, that is just my butt.
Each day I ran a little farther. By the end of the second week I could run 1 mile straight. By the end of the third week I could run 2 miles. By the end of the month I was running 4 miles.
What freakin' happened? I got addicted. I got addicted to beating my own self doubt. To overcoming the mental and physical limitations I had placed on myself. For me, 80% of running was/is mental.
Each time I got on the treadmill, I had a goal. "Today I am running for thirty minutes." or "Today I am running 3.5 miles." I never let my body or mind beat me. It was hard. Some days it was a struggle to survive one mile of running. Some runs I had to repeat a mantra in my mind (thanks Coren) the ENTIRE time "Strong mind. Strong body. Strong mind. Strong body" I took control and can tell you each time was a victory whether small or big. I like winning. So I kept pushing myself so I could keep winning.
Yesterday, on my birthday, I woke up, laced up my running shoes and did the one thing I WANTED to do. Run. Yesterday was the first day I felt like a runner.
Next Wednesday, I will give 4 specific tips to get started running, not that I am an expert but I do have some things that helped me get started.
6 comments:
Farrah, you are such an inspiration. You have such a strong will. I could run a mile but I have let excuses get in my way. I need to get back to it. I will. Thanks for the inspiration!
Awesome post!! I love it! I never thought I was a runner either, using my knee as a crutch. I started out doing interval running, and then I was up to 4 miles before I knew it too! Now that I've been sick and out of commission, I miss it - it's very strange. It's a good feeling when you are out there cuz it does make you feel strong. Way to go! Love reading your updates!
It's official, you are a runner!!!
I think that sounds like a great way to spend your birthday...or any day!
desist hennesey addresses hearted plazagr suraj dksu adapting surely payload stagnate
lolikneri havaqatsu
GO FARRAH! GO FARRAH!
Post a Comment