This morning when I got back from dropping Gabe off at school I noticed something floating in our pool. My first thought, was "Oh, great. A dead squirrel or something." For those of you with pools, you know that once in a while you unfortunately find small dead animals in it.
Last summer our pool claimed the lives of an entire family of baby birds. Being pregnant, I was somewhat emotional and this caused me great trauma. What kind of mother would put her nest right next to a pool? Her babies would start to venture out for the first time and fall right in. We never saw one fall in, otherwise I would have saved it, performed mouth to mouth on it, or whatever it took to help the little one survive.
Back to this morning...it was too big to be a squirrel or bird, so what was it? I looked again and saw that we had two ducks swimming around. Nothing dead, thank goodness. My heart jumped with delight that we had a mom and dad duck hanging out in our pool. Jake (the wonder dog) was circling the pool in confusion and excitement. Quickly, I took him inside so as to not scare off my new pool tenants. I grabbed some bread and my camera. They braved the ground once Jake was out of sight.
Maybe they will hang out here for the season and with luck we just might get to see their babies. I better go hide Jake's stuffed toy duck with it's head ripped off. We don't want to scare them away.
this is the headless toy duck
2 comments:
How fun. I bet your kids will love it. Just be sure you really want them around all summer. They make big poop messes.
hi,
I am doing the Good Mail too. email me your address if you want me to add you to my list. wiljen109 (at) aol (dot) com
Post a Comment