Happy Earth Day! Did you know that today is Earth Day? It is a great time to start thinking about the impact you are having on the environment. What are the consequences of our choices? What products are better for the earth? What should you avoid? What small things can you do to make a difference?The last few years I have been thinking about the impact I am having on the Earth. Bart is always asking me, "When did you go green?" The truth is I am not completely green, maybe someday I will be, but for now I am making small choices that will help the environment.
Did you know you should turn your car off if you are going to be idling for more then a minute? How about turning your water heater down a few degrees? Have you ever though about using rags instead of paper towels? Try making your own cleaners (it is also better for your health). Unplug your chargers when not in use. Use a tote bag for your groceries. Did you know that skipping the meat once in a while and eating more vegetables helps not only your health but the environment? Never throw batteries away; instead take them to a recycling center. Or better yet use rechargable ones.
The Lazy Environmentalist has a radio show with some pretty good ideas and his website has great links. I saw him on Martha and my favorite product was this dual flush toilet. You push one button to flush your number 1 and a different one to flush number 2 because you need more water for that one. On Martha's website there is a Going Green Checklist you can post on your refrigerator to help give you some ideas.
Another website that I frequent is We Are What We Do. It has not only ideas to help with the environment but also ideas on how to change the world we live in for the better. There you can get fun ideas and keep track of the changes you are making.
My challenge to you is to find one thing you can do differently to help save our Mother Earth. So what are you going to do to help?
3 comments:
I love that you are turning green too.
Green is good! I'm finally catching up on your blogs, and I am never disappointed, and more often inspired. There's a great show on FitTV called "Living Fresh", and if you check out the info online there are great recepies for making your own cleaners. I enjoy cleaning with natural products that I can use without worry around my kids, and that save a lot of money.
I heard on Oprah that if every American would use 1 less napkin each day it would make a HUGE difference. And also that if everyone changed 1 lighbulb in their house to the energy smart bulbs that have the energy star logo on them it also would make a big difference and cut down on your power bill too. I can't afford to change all the bulbs in my house at once, but when one burns out I replace it with an energy smart one. Oh, and unplug your toaster too! We use 40% energy on things that are plugged in even if they are not turned on. There is a smart plug that you can buy that is like the power strip you plug your computer and stuff into and when you turn it off it is actually off and there is no power going to anything plugged into it! Thanks for the reminder to go green Farrah! I like that there are little things busy moms can do to help the environment.
Post a Comment