Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Am I the only one?

I promised my sister I would post every day this week, since I was basically MIA last week. That means, you will get lots of boring content like this:

Am I the only one who lets bills and paperwork pile up? How do you keep your mail organized? How do you tackle it? Is there a secret to keep from getting piles like this?

Goals for today:

  1. go through paperwork: pay bills, file, and trash
  2. fold laundry
  3. put Gabe's bunk beds together
  4. make a grocery list: any ideas for some fast easy meals I can make?
  5. work on my new online craft store: you will see more about this in coming posts

12 comments:

Megan said...

Doesn't it seem like since we've had the do not call registry, the amount of junk mail has increased? Some days I just leave the mail in the mailbox since it's just junk mail anyway. I throw everything away that's not a bill or that I don't need when I get home. I pay all our bills at the first of the month. I just keep them in a file and pay them all on the 1st. They all come about the same time. But that doesn't mean I don't have piles of paper....mine are mostly coupons and fliers and things I think I'm going to use one day.

Allyson said...

No, you are not the only one. I think it is an inherited thing. No offense to those of you we inderited it from. What I have started doing that some what helps is this:

-I go through the mail before I even bring it in the house and the junk mail goes in the trash can outside before it even crosses the threshold. I used to save sale ads and coupons and stuff to look through later but later never came so they go in the trash too.

-Most of my bills and my bank statement have an option for e-bills so I only get one bill in the mail now which is very nice.

-Get a cute little inbox type thing for all the other mail you need to keep and deal with later.

-I only subscribe to 1 magazine and Steve only subscribes to one. And when I get catlalogs in the mail, I call them and have them remove me from their mailing list. If I need something I can go online and find it.

The thing that helps the most I think it to do something with it right then and not let it pile up. But I am one to talk. I still have problems sometimes.

Oh, and thanks for the post as promised.

And for fast easy meals, I went to the store yesterday and I knew I was going to be busy all week so I got a couple of pre-made crock pot meals.

And tell me about this online craft sore!

The Acosta Family said...

You should see my desk! Of course mine is business and personal. I just don't want to tackle it yet. Allyson is right, it is inherited I guess. Candi gave me this crockpot receipe. I love it. It is called Hawaiian Chicken

3 of 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (not frozen-thawed)

2 family size cans of Cream of Chicken Soup

1 box of cream cheese (I know it sounds yucky)

Cook all of that on low for 5 hours or high for 3 but you have to watch it closely. Then cook some white rice (even minute rice if you want). Put some rice on the plate first then top with the mixture, then top with pineapples. I never use the pineapples cause I'm wierd like that.

Anonymous said...

All right you guys I am going to help you out...Just do it. I have a rule that I don't look at mail more than once.

When I get a bill I stand there and write a check and put it in an envelope.

When I get junk I throw it out-I open letters, read them, and throw them away. Unless it is cute card or something, I do away with it.

Anonymous said...

I don't get the mail unless I know I have 5 minutes to deal with it.

The Acosta Family said...

You are good Kristy. I look at my mail in the car on the way to or back from wherever I am going(because our mailbox is down the street not in front of the house). Then I usually end up leaving it in the car until Pedro asks me if I have paid that bill. Then I can't find it, so I pay it on the internet, or have to go look in the car. Ok, I am probably the worst person about dealing with my mail. I like the ebill option, but need to keep a paper copy for my files. I just end up overwhelming myself.

Allyson said...

Kim- I hope you aren't driving while looking at your mail!

Allyson said...

Kristy- I am going to adopt your "touch it once" method.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone. Kristy that is a good idea. I am going to try it today and then maybe tomorrow. But that will be how long that last.

Anonymous said...

Ok.... I have to comment on this!!!! It is a definite inherited trait. I have a huge box of mail. It will take me forever to go through it. So I love everyones ideas. I really like the touch it once, Kristy!
Let me see if I can work that out.
It would save me a ton of time.
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

Allyson said...

Look at you momma! What are you doing here?

Unknown said...

Yeah! Holy COW! You made a comment mom! I did the touch it once thing yesterday, but I didn't have that much mail. It worked great though!