Monday, August 20, 2007

Dress Rehearsal



School officially starts in one week. This last month we have tried giving up our lazy summer routine and have been working on getting Gabe to bed by 8:30 p.m. and waking up earlier than normal. All this in preparation for the first day of school.

This week, I decided to take all of this a step further. Last night I told Gabe we are going to get up and do a "Mock First Day of School." We were going to get up, get dressed, get his lunch and backpack together, and drive to school. Just like we would do on the first day. Well 6:45 a.m. came a little too early for me. At 7 Gabe was jumping on my bed saying "it's time to get ready for school." Bart was shaving in the bathroom and gently reminding me it was Mock First Day of School. UGHHH! I have to actually get up!

I drug my lazy, going to bed at 1:30 a.m. self out of bed at 7:15. And we were off. Just like we would be our first day of school. Except, I would never let Gabe wear this to school, and I didn't make him a lunch. Also, we didn't eat breakfast (part of MFDOS was to go out to breakfast). But we were to school on time. We drove past and slowed down a bit, than were off to McDonald's.

This is really good practice for me; I think Gabe has it down. Maybe tomorrow I will wake up at 7:00 and by the time "REAL" school starts I will be up and going at 6:30. We'll see about that. By the way, I think Matt felt kind of like me this morning.

10 comments:

Megan said...

That is early!!! He has to be there at 8am, huh? Porter's bus comes at 8am, so he just has to be dressed and fed by then. I'm glad we don't have to be driving and BE there by 8am. I think it's cute you had a mock first day of school. Remember us trying to do an early morning aerobics class at BYU before my knee accident? And remember us sleeping in so long we missed breakfast AND lunch in the cafeteria? Those were the days! :)

Clinesville said...

I am doing the whole getting up early thing too and even though I was in bed by 10:30 I still didn't get up till 7:30. I sure hope I can get it together by next monday!

Unknown said...

Yes it is early. He has to be in his seat at 8!

I totally remember sleeping in so long that we had to walk over to McDonald's to eat since we missed breakfast and lunch. Wow, I can't believe that. Seems like so long ago.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute. When I saw his outfit I thought, "that doesn't look like something farrah and bart would pick for the 1st day of school." then i read your post and laughed when you wrote that you wouldn't let him wear that.

Allyson said...

Ok, first of all, Zac has that same shirt. And shorts. All of which he has worn to school. What are y'all trying to say? Never mind.

I complain that my kids school starts at 9 and ends at 3:45. It is probably a good thing though or we would always be late. We started our getting up and ready routine today too.

And I went to bed at 1:30 last night too. What were you doing?

Allyson said...

Oh, and those are very cute pictures of both boys.

Unknown said...

Sorry Ally, but I would NEVER let Gabe wear those to school. In fact, he was lucky to get to wear them outside of the house. You see, my washer is broken, so we are running out of clothes very quickly.

Unknown said...

Oh, I was reading. That was why I was up so late. The Time Travelers Wife- love it!

Unknown said...

I meant to say he could wear the shorts to school, but not with that shirt. And I wouldn't let him wear the shirt to school with those shorts or any others. That is a shirt he usually sleeps in, but he begged me to let him wear it today, so I did.

Allyson said...

Shirt snob!

That is a good book huh? If you think about it she is the person she is because of his influence when she was a little girl, but he was the person he was when influencing her because of the influence she had on him when they were older. So it is like this big circle and you don't really know who influened who first.