Thursday, February 21, 2008

Yes he will!

Yesterday Obama was here in Dallas. Thanks to Tonia for reminding me to tune into his speech on the internet. I listened to it while I worked.

Whatever you might feel about him and his politics, you have to admit is he is an amazing person. He inspires me. He gives me hope. He fills me with passion. He makes me feel proud to be an American. He is a great orator and writer. I love watching him speak and can see why people are drawn to him.

Don't laugh, but I got emotional listening to him yesterday. When I say emotional, I mean to the point of tears. I don't even remember what part of his speech had that effect on me, but it was powerful. His story is inspirational. The odds he has overcome, the things he has accomplished, where he is today, all I can say is WOW!

I am not saying he should be president, and whether he is or not, he will be monumental figure in the shaping of our history. I am sure of that.

I enjoy playing this video even though Bart is always telling me to "turn that propaganda off" and asking why I like it so much. Maybe I like it because I didn't know Scarlett Johansson could sing or maybe because I get a small glimpse of Wade Robson at 1:57 (yummy). Whatever it is, I like it.

37 comments:

Allyson said...

So I watched about a minute of it and I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Maybe it's just me.

Ashley said...

He came to Boise, we had friends who went to the ralley. Jeremy wanted to go with them, but we stayed home and watched President Hinckley's funeral. Sounds like he is winning a lot of States.

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Farrah!

Have you lost your mind? Obama as President (which I think is already a forgone conclusion) would be a disaster. He is so freaking liberal. He's gonna, immedietly withdraw us from Iraq, give millions of illegal aliens amnesty (why not too, after all Mexico is so great and all, umm no it's not, so why not let in all that great culture that has obviously been working so brilliantly over there come over here and make us equally crappy), give everyone healthcare (whether they can pay or not! who cares after all... we'll just tax the hell out of the working class and rich to pay for it!)

And that is just the start of it. It is going to be bad. Yes, he is charasmatic, motivating, and an amazing orator. But he will be a terrible President!!!!!! AGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Megan said...

James thinks if he can beat Hilary, he'll beat McCain.

Unknown said...

Jamie- I never said he would be a good president. I just think he is an amazing person.

Allyson said...

oooohhhhh. hmmmmmm. yikes! Farrah, just to put one in your corner, you did say you were NOT saying he should be president.

I have tried really hard not to say this to you, but there are a lot of past world leaders who have also been great public speakers and have inspiried many people and have been really bad, horrible people and done lots of really bad horrible things.

Allyson said...

Oh look, you jumped in before i finished my comment.

Allyson said...

....and i love you....cause you're my sista......

Sweet Papery said...

Ally- I totally agree with what you said.

AGAIN- In case you people missed it (I made it bold now so you can see it): I AM NOT SAYING HE SHOULD BE PRESIDENT. And I never said he would be a good leader- who knows he hasn't even had a chance to prove himself in that area.

I just think his passion and hope are infectious and I see why people like him.

Now, with that said, I don't think he would be a TERRIBLE president either. I think everyone has the right to have proper healthcare whether they can afford it or not. And I think we should be working on getting our troops out of Iraq. There I said it.

Allyson said...

I said that you said that you were not saying he should be president, I was sticking up for you! I was saying ohhhh, hummm, yikes about the other comment, because I would not want to get into a debate with you like that.

I have already said my peace about B.O. (I'm going to call him that from now on) over on my blog.

Allyson said...

I just still can't understand what they are saying in the video

Anonymous said...

He inspires me too. It REALLY bothers me that he is being compared to leaders that have hurt others. He has a message of hope and is trying to unite a very broken and disheartened country.

Allyson said...

I NEVER compared him to leaders who hurt others. I just said that just because someone is a great orator doesn't mean he is a good person. I don't know exactly what kind of person B.O. is in his heart of hearts and neither does anyone else.

Truegrit said...

Hey now, you eat our food and massacre our language and Sam is serving his mission in Mexico and you don't want us here?

If you are truly deep in the heart of Texas, you may want to remember that this was a part of Mexico before it was stolen away from the Mexicans. Now if we were able to find a way to close the borders, we should also be concerned about our friends to the north in Canada. There is currently an unmanned entry point that is known to be a drug run and illegal entry point. I'm not saying that Obama will be a great president or not. I happen to like his message. I happen to like Hillary's message. But what I need to say to the people who are unwilling to listen to others without a preconcieved notion, is that is your life better today under the current administration? Because mine isn't. We make decent wages, but my parents and quite possibly your parents are struggling to pay for medication and meet their day-to-day ends meet with a small social security check. There are parents who work two jobs and are still unable to afford even mediocre insurance.

I think that there is a time for change and we are there. But to be so closed minded to change and to belittle a people who support our economy without withdrawing social security is a bit, oh I don't know..., stupid, naive or ignorant...,

I don't want another 4 yrs of our young men and women coming home in body bags or with missing body parts. But what I really don't want to see is this Vietnam war we call Iraq continuing on and on.

We need to bring our sons and daughters home now. We need to provide for the people who are here now. We need a change, we need hope!

Amber said...

Whoa Farrah, You started something here! I am a republican, but I'm not even sure of our candidate...All I can do is keep praying for the well being of our country and the world for our children.

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Patty,

First and foremost, the safe harbor of bad argumentation is to make an ad hominem attack (i.e., "you're ignorant" "no, no, you are"). That's how 2-year-olds argue, and, less you contrue this as an attack, that's merely a statement of fact.

Second, if you truly believe that Mexico and its culture have more to offer us than Canada, then I feel that any further conversation on politics will be fruitless. (The ills from illegal immigration are patently obvious to even the most casual observer, and cross party lines.)

But you bring up a very valid point about how we took Texas from Mexico. Americans took Texas from Mexico by moving there and refusing to speak the language or obey Mexican laws. Eventually, the US populous was more powerful than the native population and merely annexed the land. We don't want the same thing to happen here.

Do you honestly believe that not drawing social security offsets the costs imposed on society by illegal immigration? Illegals don't contribute to the tax base (which contributions far exceed the payments to be receive from SS). Illegals draw on every other public good. The law requires that hospitals treat patients who arrive at the emergency room for up to $50,000 before they can be discharged -- not to mention the fact that Medicaid will step in to help too. The US educates illegal Mexicans' children, and provides numerous welfare subsidies to same. The costs of illegal immigration are manifold. And you think that I should say "thank you very much" because I like to eat Mexican food!?

Incidentally, ask your missionary whether he would permenantly want to live in Mexico. He wouldn't.

As far as the hackneyed "are you better now than you were 8 years ago" refrain, I've got news for you, how you fare today, tomorrow or 20 years from now has almost nothing to do with who is in office and everything to do with you are your efforts. If you are looking to the government to provide you with a better lifestyle, then get used to the one you complain of now.

And heaven forbid you achieve any measure of success, because then politicians like Obama will come to tax it away from you under the banner of you enjoying too much "privilege."

Also, you call me close minded. In my experience, that is a synonym for "you don't think like I do." I've considered Obama and Hillary's positions and rejected them. Furthermore, I can argue for why other positions are superior without resorting to calling people who think differently than me "stupid-heads."

I'm not against Mexicans individually, I happen to know and love many Mexicans. But you need to look at the bigger picture. This country cannot support unchecked illegal immigration and preserve its quality of life. The same is true with the war in Iraq. No one, no one, wants Americans to die, but there are big picture issues here (e.g., fighting terrorism, freeing Iraqis, etc.).

Try not to be so close minded. :)

Anonymous said...

That's a nice comment - "Don't be so close minded" I guess that's my whole point. If you "don't know" what kind of person Barack Obama is, then why all the put downs?

Carrie said...

I think everyone likes this video because his message is not liberal or conservative, its American.

I don't think, as a conservative American, that wanting change is a big shock. Things do NEED to change. His message here touches my heart because, although I disagree with his some of his politics, I see his vision and I respect his desire to fix what he sees needs fixing. I can respect his desire for change, because I WANT IT TOO.

And although I am an American without a candidate (meaning I don't like ANY of my choices in November), I will vote anyway, but (and it may be cynical to say) its a foregone conclusion. The Republican party will not win. Democrats are turning out in record numbers and there are enough Republicans who HATE McCain to help Obama's cause. I think that while we use our voice and our vote the best we know how we also need make sure we stand behind our president no matter who is elected. Conservative Americans need to show Liberal Americans what THAT looks like, because the past 8 years have shown us they don't know how. After watching this, I feel united with other Americans, not divided. And that is something that I would like for my country and it's citizens.

Carrie said...

Okay, I'm not advocating blindly following a President and I'm not saying we shouldn't question authority at the end of my post, just saying a little old fashioned team spirit and unity would be nice.

Allyson said...

Sigh...I'm done arguing politics because people take my words and don't actually listen to what I say, they just interpret them whatever way they want to. I didn't put Obama down I merely stated MY opinion, which under the constitution I am allowed to do.

And I wasn't saying I don't know what kind of person he is, I have a fair idea. I was saying no one knows what kind of person he is deep down inside and what his true intents are.

Anonymous said...

Sigh.... I'm done too. I also am glad to live in a country where I can state my opinion and vote for a positive change. We are ALL very blessed to be Americans.

Anonymous said...

Wow Farrah, thanks for stirring such passion! I can remember,as a small child, being on a bus in Dallas, and reading "colored people sit on the back of the bus." To see an African American running for President with people of all colors supporting him is truly a magnificent thing. He is a great orator, he is an educated man, and he wants to this country in a new direction. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think to have once lived in an ares where Jim Crow laws existed makes you see thing in a different light.

Latinos see this as their country because it was their country, it stirs great passion. If you read your Texas history books. People were invited to live here,by the the Mexican government, as long as the spoke spanish, and converted to the Catholic church. Stephen F. Austin said no, and the fight was on.This was a country that treated the hispanic people, that were born here, as second class citizens. there is an empathy for mexican illegals Many now feel the first "wetback" came north of the red river. Our family has lived in Dallas for three generations. We have lived in Texas eight generations, when Texas was Mexico. It evokes great passion when people call our mother country "crappy".

Hillary Clinton is what we might all strive our daughters to be educated, articulate, and successful. I don't see why she is so hated. I can see "glass ceilings" crashing if a women was president.

Unknown said...

Carrie- His message is American. That is exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you for your comment.

And as far as him being president, or anyone for that matter, thank goodness for a congress and judicial system. We have checks and balances. There is a reason our forefathers set our country up that way.

No one person can come in and take over our country and do as they please. THANK GOODNESS! I wouldn't want anyone to have that kind of power.

Oh and Jamie, as far as getting onto people for attacking you with comments like "you're ignorant", you asked me at first if I "had lost my mind". Just saying......

Unknown said...

And did you all know that Scarlett could sing? And what about Wade Robson, you don't think he is cute?

Come on Kristy, I know you have an opinion about that but are trying to avoid all the conflict here. Atleast comment on that.

Truegrit said...

First of all Jamie, let me apologize to you. Obviously you don't know enough about how this country was founded on people seeking the same freedoms that you enjoy today. But our ancestors who were landowners had their land stolen from them by the likes of the King Ranch. Until you can walk in the shoes of people who have had their homes and lands taken away from them because they can, then we don't need to discuss politics any more.

I'm not sure, but are you saying that when the illegals go shopping that it is tax-free? Not sure, but I think that we all pay taxes in one form or another.

I don't want you to go away thinking that I don't want a secured nation, I'm just tired of the Mexicans being the brunt of everyone's anger or blame. I want the same things that most Americans want. The children to be educated, heathly and a safe place from harm.

Maybe that is too simplistic for such a profound person as yourself, but so be it.

As far as emergency room treatment and people who are on some form of welfare, the largest group of people using that type of service are our own Americans, white and black.

How do you propose we take care of them? Should we deny them care and send them on their way to infect others. Or do we let them go without food and shelter?

I think that you also need to do a little looking inward as to how you would fare if the shoe were ont the other foot.

Adrienne said...

Farrah, thanks for posting the Obama video. I enjoyed watching it. Bart's comment made me laugh. If Hillary weren't in the race, I would support Senator Obama. He made a good point last night on CNN when he said, I think the rhetoric needs to be toned down [on illegal immigration]. He mentioned it being heated and at times ugly which I think showed on your blog yesterday. I think that is why so many people find him refreshing. He tells us when we are being ugly, non-productive and asks people to get involved and be better. We are stronger when we are united in our determination to find solutions and are willing to compromise.

As far as the illegal immigrant issue, I think we need to deal with it with sensitivity. That may make people want to reject my argument as "liberal", but I hope not. I'm for border control and security on BOTH borders. Evil has no face, culture, ethnicity or language. At the same time, I also see families and innocent children who lives could be damaged by our leaders (our public will) refusal to find compromise for those who are already here. I definitely don't want that on my head.

As a missionary in San Jose CA, I worked with a lot of Mexican immigrants. The majority were hard-working and productive. Many were well-educated. Surprisingly, they didn't want to leave their native country for the US but life in Mexico was so desperate that they were willing to risk even death so they could survive. I've never had to make that kind of choice so that is a humbling thought. I also taught some I know were brought here by the hand of God to find the Church. One of those is a lovely young lady currently serving a mission in Salt Lake City, UT.

I know Farrah loves controversy (and insults if they're creative) so I'm sure she is tickled pink by all of the comments. But as I'm bound to run into some of you, is it too much to ask that we keep it polite and respectful...ON ALL SIDES???? Geez, all we need is to have people throw down at one of Gabe's or Matt's birthday party. And that would most likely be my family :)

Allyson said...

Adrienne,

That was very well said and I appreciate the calm and kind way in which you said it. Thanks for the reminder. We all needed it.

Allyson said...

I have to say, the Bart thing made me laugh too. I can just hear him saying "Turn that propaganda off!" and see the face he would make when saying it.

Anonymous said...

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Farrah,

Hey girl, this is the big problema with email, tone doesn't come through. When I said "Have you lost your mind?), it was in a cute sarcastic tone. But comments like I'm...(ignorant, stupid, naive) I don't think tone can be implied.

As to Patty's latest comment that these people are seeking the very thing the our founders of this country sought. Let me be clear, I'm not against immigration, I'm against ILLEGAL immigration.

Furthermore, give me a break if you think sales tax even begins to cover the cost these illegals accrue, federal income tax is what I'm talking about, people! :)

Clinesville said...

Farrah likes to stir up trouble and watch it unfold!

Unknown said...

Jamie,

Trust me, I wasn't offended in the least by what you said. I love you and know what you meant. What you said could be construed by others as a personal attack just as theirs was a personal attack.

I do in all respect have a question for you though. What makes you think they don't pay federal income tax? I am asking because working as a human resources professional in a manufacturing industry for many years I saw a lot of illegal immigrants work for me.

Granted, I did not "know" for sure that they were illegal, I am pretty sure A LOT of them were. There were MANY times I called the social security or INS office to verify someone had a legal right to work for me because I question the validity of their social security card (it looked fake).

EVERY SINGLE time I called I was told that it was a valid social security number and I could not fire them because of that. We had hired them, they filled out their I-9 form and signed it stating they had a right to work in this country and provided a valid social security card.

Now, I do know that everyone one of those hard working employees (and I will tell you they were the best, most long term employees we ever had) paid federal taxes. I took it out of their paycheck!

So this is why I ask respectfully (I promise), why you think they don't pay taxes? Granted there are many who work for cash (I hired some to help me move into my house) but I know there are a lot of American citizens who get paid cash under the table to avoid paying taxes also.

In the end, I think most of them do pay federal taxes. And I think we, speaking collectly as Americans, me included, perpetuate the problem of illegal immigration when we are not willing to do work ourselves but hire them instead.

Anonymous said...

The comment "these illegals" comes off as ugly. What is the tone for this phrase?

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Farrah,

It's estimated that there are between 11 and 15 million illegal immigrants here, but for obvious reasons it impossible to know. The IRS reported that 2.1 million illegal immigrants paid tax last year.

It sounds like the men and women who you worked with were very much like some that I had the pleasure to work with when I was in college. I worked at a slaughter house (college town...it was the only job I could get), but it was a really eye opening experience. I worked on the "kill floor" and was one of a dozen people who spoke English.

The people I worked along side were some of the most kind-hearted hard-working people I've meet. They struggled and sacrificed to come here legally to make a better life for themselves. They are working to make this country great.

Adrienne said...

Farrah, could we have a new topic? PRETTY PLEASE!!!! I need to talk to a few people :)

Unknown said...

Jamie,

What I was saying about the people I worked with was that they were here illegally. They had bought valid social security numbers to use to be able to work.

Here is a quote from a NY times article I read: It is impossible to know exactly how many illegal immigrant workers pay taxes. But according to specialists, most of them do. Since 1986, when the Immigration Reform and Control Act set penalties for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants, most such workers have been forced to buy fake ID's to get a job.

Currently available for about $150 on street corners in just about any immigrant neighborhood in California, a typical fake ID package includes a green card and a Social Security card. It provides cover for employers, who, if asked, can plausibly assert that they believe all their workers are legal. It also means that workers must be paid by the book - with payroll tax deductions."

Later in the article social security's chief actuary said this: "Our assumption is that about three-quarters of other-than-legal immigrants pay payroll taxes."

Anonymous said...

I am not signing this because, Farrah, you will know who I am by the end of this comment.Holy cow! I just came across this "debate". I am sure that no one is still reading this, and that is probably a good thing, but it is so close to home (as you know) that I had to say something. I am hoping that you might bring this up on one of your posts. I just want people to know that there are many illegals married to US citizens that are not able to have any type of residency. In our situation, 10 years and 3 kids later, I still do not have my husband here legally. We tried the legal route - they gave him a 10 years bar! I have been to immigration lawyers as recently as last year that tell me there is nothing we can do to help our situation. We have to wait for amnesty or a law to change. We have our own business. I pay him a salary. I take out federal taxes. No offense, but I am so tired of hearing that I am for LEGAL immigration. So am I! It is just too bad that my wonderful county (where my family have been for generations) is not willing to help re-unite families. Not everyone should be able to stay, but what about my situation. I have talked to the senator's office about it. They say that it is more common than you think. Thanks,