Monday I was waiting in the carpool line at Gabe's school. It was long and school wouldn't get out for another 10 minutes. Sometimes due to my hectic life, I get there early just so I can have a few moments of quiet solitude to reflect.
I started thinking about where I am lacking and what I need to be doing better. My list grew longer as the seconds ticked away. Overwhelmed by my inadequacies, I decided to take only one thing on that list and focus on it this week.
That one thing was personal correspondence. I get so caught up in my business and my immediate family's needs that I often neglect staying in touch with my friends and family. This week I have been working on personally connecting by sending out a card, a care package, making a phone call to a friend I haven't talked to in a while.
Today I am going to sit down and write a letter. Yes, an actual hand written letter. My challenge to you is to do the same. Wouldn't you be surprised to receive a letter like that in the mail? I know I would love to. So go and do it. Take 5 minutes, maybe 10 today, write a letter and tell me about it.
Or if you don't want to write a letter, go read some of the ones you have received. I know you have some stashed away somewhere. One of my most beloved treasures is the 2 notebooks full of letters from Bart while he was on his mission in Brazil.
RESOURCES FROM FOR YOU FROM FARRAH
- Letter writing stationery from Crane or from Papyrus
- Personalized stationery set
- Here is a great website with links to letters from famous people, pen pal opportunities, and the history of letter writing
- The National Postal Museum
- Buy some old love letters on ebay
- Unique address stamps (shameless self promotion)
- Cute personalized stationery for your kids or Curious George set (so cute!)
- Fine writing instruments or more fine writing instruments my favorite is this one

3 comments:
I love getting random cards in the mail, it always puts a smile on my face!
I am not even lying, but I totally was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. List of inadaquecies, and all. And I even starting writing a letter to a friend of mine last night, because that was one of the things on my "list" too.
WEIRD!!
I have an old tin where I have saved letters and cards. Every once in a while I will take it out and read what people have written to me.
My kids were real good, on their missions, in writing letters. Dandy used her letters as a journal of her mission. Bart wrote wonderful letters. I was able to see his growth, in his spirituality, in his letters.
Yes Farrah, I do wonder why we don't write more letters.
Liz
Post a Comment