Wednesday, May 28, 2008

T&TT: A recipe

It is past Tuesday, but I still wanted to give you my Tried and True Tuesday.

This recipe is a family favorite and almost everyone who tries it wants to know how to make it. So I am sharing it with you here. It is delicious! We eat ours with tortilla chips.

Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad

Roasted Corn
1-1 lb. Pkg. Frozen extra sweet whole kernel corn, thawed
2 to 3 Tbsp. Oil

Dressing
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt or salt
¾ tsp. Cumin
6 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
5 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar

Salad
1 c. chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup chopped red onion
3 Italian plum tomatoes
2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
2 tsp. minced garlic
2-15oz. Cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 large avocados, cut into ½ inch pieces

Garnish
red leaf lettuce
fresh cilantro sprigs

Directions
Heat oven to 450 degrees. In medium bowl, combine corn and 2-3 Tbsp. oil; toss to coat. Spread corn in ungreased 15x10 baking pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until corn begins to turn light golden brown, stirring every 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in small jar with lid, combine all dressing ingredients; shake until well-blended.

In large bowl, combine chopped cilantro, onion, tomatoes, chilies, bell pepper, garlic, beans and roasted corn. Add dressing; mix well. Add avocados; toss gently to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 6 hours.

To serve, line bowl with lettuce. Spoon salad over lettuce. Garnish with cilantro sprig. Makes 16 half-cup servings.

To make more than 6 hours ahead, add chopped cilantro, dressing and avocados just before serving.

12 comments:

Allyson said...

Mmmm, mmmm, MMMMMMMM. I ate it for 3 days straight. I am out now and really would like to have some right NOW!

Clinesville said...

I first of all can't believe you're sharing and second, loved having that at your folks home. I remember your Mom would make a left over dish for me full...I love your Momma!

Unknown said...

Coren- the recipe comes from Pier who got it from someone else that Dane worked with. I figure we have it because they all shared it, so I share it with everyone who asks for it.

Lindsey said...

yummy!!! can't wait to make this over the summer!!!

The Sabins said...

Ok, so it's 8:30 in the morning and now I am starving after reading this... I am so totally making this during a family get together this weekend - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The Best!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I was just looking at a recipe similar to this on the back of the tortilla chips bag, but yours sounds better....I'll have to try it out!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Yummy, printed it off and will use it at some future unknown date where I will cleverly pass it off as my own. :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds sooo good! I've been looking for a good summer recipe. Excellent share!

Ashley said...

Just catching up on my commenting.

Looks really yummy, maybe we will have to try this for the 4th.

The Sabins said...

I made this for a family dinner...I doubled it and had a HUGE bowl...which was promptly gone within 3 days! Thanks for sharing!

Lindsey said...

any chance you are going to update your blog soon??? :)