Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 1: So long SUCKERS!

We have been back from California since last Thursday evening and I am still in vacation mode. Not sure what it is going to take to snap me out of it. I am happy to be back in Texas, even though it is about 25 degrees hotter than it was in Santa Monica. (Oh, and I still haven't unpacked everything- sad, I know!)

Here is day 1 of our trip. BTW: Some of you might be completely bored with my recap so you might want to not read my blog for the next few days.
We got there on at lunch time on Friday. The first thing we were all impressed with was the temperature! We had just left 100+ degree humid heat to beautiful cool air (I don't say refreshing because it was smog ridden- but cool none the less. I will take smoggy cool over humid and hot).
For those that don't know, we did a house swap. Someone from Santa Monica came and stayed at our house and we stayed at theirs. Here is what Gabe had to say about them staying in Texas:


Ate lunch in Santa Monica and almost ran out of gas trying to find a gas station! We drove through Venice Beach where I had a small desire to get a tattoo.

Saw Marina Del Ray (no pictures but you can sing the George Strait song to yourself). Went to pick up Bart's mom and sister from LAX.

Then we headed over to the original Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in Hollywood where Gabe lost tooth #6. Who would have thought fried chicken and waffles would taste so good together? This picture was taken at about midnight Dallas time so Gabe is a little crabby. Matt is happy because he just had a good meal- the kid loves food.

We walked around the Kodak Theater (where the Oscars are held), Grumans Chinese Theater, and the star walk of fame.
Drove home on the Santa Monica Blvd (go ahead and sing the song) through West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Bart was hit on by a car full of guys and we saw the LA Temple by surprise.
We went home and crashed!

21 comments:

Kathy said...

Tell me a little more about the house swap thing. We you not scared they would trash your house or steal something. Also how do you know their house is equal in quaility to yours. Also how did you find someone willing. What website did you use?
Over all was it a good experience?

Ashley said...

We didn't make it to roscoe's and we were bummed about that. Next time we will go for sure.

Unknown said...

Kathy- the house swap thing worked out perfectly. I was not scared at all. I found her on Craigslist last year- so we had been talking for a while.

We sent pictures of our houses inside and out. I googled her to make sure she really lived there, etc.

Not only did we swap houses, but we did a car swap too. She has kids my age so we even left our carseats in the car for each other. It was GREAT!

I wasn't afraid of them trashing my house because I was staying in their house. I knew they wanted me to treat their house with the same respect.

Plus, I had a pretty good feel for her. I could tell she was an honest person.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Unknown said...

Ashley- you have to go to Roscoe's- yum that sounds good right now!

Allyson said...

Did you see my comment on the side? It wouldn't let me comment before. Maybe because you were adding to it. There is more to this post than there was earlier.

I have heard of the chicken and waffle place but I can't remember where? Maybe on the travel channel or Oprah. Something like that.

And don't you mean you walked around the Kodak theater where the American Idol finale is held???

I bet you loved it there. Have you ever been before? I know you have always wanted to.

And thanks......"All I wanna do is have a little fun before I die,"
Says the man next to me out of nowhere It's apropos of nothing
He says his name's William but I'm sure He's Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy And he's plain ugly to me
And I wonder if he's ever had a day of fun in his whole life.....that'll be there for a while.

Unknown said...

Ally- I had NO IDEA the American Idol finale was there. Yes, I have been before- the last time we went to Cali was 3 1/2 years ago. We did a lot more this time around though!

Megan said...

How fun! There's a GREAT taco place by the temple called Tito's Tacos. It's a shack in the middle of a random place, but they are so good and the lines are always super long. We always went if we were out that way - or near LAX even.

I like the house swap idea. I'm glad it worked out.....and what a cool thing abt trading cars too!

diana said...

Looks like a super fun vacation.

diana said...

I didn't make that last comment...Coren are you using my sign on?

Allyson said...

She's stealing your identity.

Have you popped that kid out yet?

Allyson said...

BTW-still singing the song.

....we are drinkin' beers at noon on tuesday, in a bar that faces a giant car wash....

(i'm not really drinking beer, the girl in the song is)(just thought i should clear that up)(in case anyone isn't familiar with the song)

Sweet Papery said...

Well, I knew you weren't drinking beer on Tuesday because it is Thursday.

Megan said...

LOL Farrah.

Anonymous said...

fun. love gabes comment. and that bart got hit on. i bet he was disturbed yet flattered.

diana said...

You should have signed out on my computer d, it's your fault.

diana said...

And I now I'm too lazy to sign you out and log in back as me.

diana said...

Is this Diana talking to me from the future?!?! :)

Allyson said...

How did you know I wasn't drinkin beer last Tuesday. Or next Tuesday for that matter?

Allyson said...

.....a happy couple enters the bar, dangerously close to one another, the bartender looks up from his want ads, and all I wanna do is have some fun.......

Unknown said...

I was saying I know you weren't drinking beer on Tuesday because it was Thursday. I was implying that you were drinking it on Tuesday.

Allyson said...

Oh, I get it. I am slow sometimes.