Thursday, September 25, 2008

In your underwear

Gabe got in the car after school today and I knew he had gotten in trouble.

I asked him what he did and he proceeded to tell me. The poor kid was hurt and upset. He got in trouble for doing something he had no idea was wrong. It is something he was taught by those who love him the most- us.

Let me start off by telling you an ongoing family joke. This all started with Bart's family. Someone asks "Do you know where we're going?" The other person answers, "Where?" To which the person replies "In your underwear, that's where!" HAHA, right? You can do this with all sorts of "Where" questions.

It is very common to hear any one of us, including, his grandmother (aka Nana), aunts, cousins, uncle, etc trying to catch someone saying "Where" so we can laugh at tell them "In your underwear, that's where."

Today Gabe's class returned from taking pictures. Their teacher wasn't in the room. Raul (I am protecting the names of the innocent) asks out loud, "Where is Ms. G?" To which Gabe replies "In your underwear, that's where! HA!"

Ms. G returns to the room and Sammie says "Ms. G! Gabe said you are in Raul's underwear!"

Whoops! It doesn't sound so funny in that context. I did call his teacher and explained our little family joke. I apologized and said he would not say it again. Thankfully, she thought the whole thing was pretty funny.

So, it is all good, but you won't hear any more underwear jokes in this house. Hey, if that is the worst thing he learns in our home, I think we might be okay.

10 comments:

Clinesville said...

We always say wierd things and I just assume will only be said at home- I guess I shouldn't.

One of my favorite things to tell the kids when they ask where we are going is, we are going to CRAZY town.

Lindsey said...

thanks for making me laugh out lous - really needed that this afternoon! see ya at vball!

Ashley said...

When we were little my dad would race across the yard with us. He let us win some, but he would win too. One morning before church, I think my dad was told to entertain us so my mom could finish getting ready. That morning we ran across the yard a few times and he beat us, he ran the fastest. My little sister was three when she told her primary teacher, "My Daddy beats us!"

I do not why your story reminded me of that but it did. We laugh about it now all the time, but I do not think it was funny then.

Megan said...

thanks for making me smile tonight!

Adrienne said...

I feel really bad that Gabe got in trouble especially as he has been trying (and praying) so hard to be good. But I am dumbfounded by the (over)reaction from the teacher. Having taught the 4, 5 & 6 yr olds in Primary, kids say all kinds of crazy and inappropriate things. If you say it at home, they do say it everywhere. You just ignore it or laugh. If it doesn't sound great, a gentle "I wouldn't say that anymore" is sufficient. How long as this teacher been teaching? This is not orange card material. What does that guy say on 20/20? Give me a break!

Truegrit said...

I have to defend my baby Gabe on this one. That teacher needs an orange card for not having a sense of humor. As his favorite aunt I think that I will drive to Memo's house tonight and (a) give him $20 or (b) buy him a toy. Someone has to make up for that teacher who listens to another 6 yr old without finding out what the whole story is. My poor baby....

Allyson said...

I was about to correct Patty and tell her that "I" am Gabes favorite aunt. Then I read the part about the $20 and the toy and just decided to give up.

Poor Gabe.

Anonymous said...

Allyson you always crack me up!

The Acosta Family said...

We had a similar incident at school last year. I always say, "You scared the crap out of me." I never thought about it not being very nice until Brandon said it at school (Brandon who never ever gets in trouble at school - who teacher constantly praise as him being a blessing in their classroom) and got a note sent home on not using that language at school. He cried, he was so upset and like Gabe had no idea it was not a nice thing to say.

Anonymous said...

lol. that is too funny... poor gabe!